“My Lord, don’t disgrace me on the Day when all will be resurrected: a day in which neither wealth nor children shall be of any benefit, except one who comes to God with a sound heart.” (Shuʿarāʾ, 26:87-89)
“Within the body there is a lump of flesh, when it is sound the entire body is sound, but when it is corrupted the entire body is corrupted: it is the heart.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Drawing from the famous “Ḥadīth of Jibrīl,” Muslim scholars have classified the Islamic Sciences into three spheres:
- The sphere of islām: This is represented by the legal sciences, which are studied under the umbrella of Fiqh (Jurisprudence)
- The sphere of īmān: This is represented by the theological sciences, which are studied under the umbrella of Aqida (Creed)
- The sphere of iḥsān: This is represented by the spiritual sciences, which are studied under the umbrella of Tazkiya (Self-Purification)
Tazkiya is the discipline that is concerned with cleansing [takhliya] and adorning [taḥliya] the inner character [bāṭin] of the human being, in compliance with the divine commands.Have you ever wondered:
- How do you reach the level where you can “worship Allah as though you see Him, for if you don’t see Him, He sees you?”
- How do you reach the level of mushāhada (witnessing), where you witness Allah in everything that happens within you, to you, and around you?
- How do you reach the level of murāqaba (watchfulness), where you are acutely aware of Allah’s watch over your inner states and outer actions?
The science of Tazkiya teaches us about those levels, how to reach them, and the stations that we must traverse before we can get to them.
- To be introduced to the wonders of the spiritual heart
- To learn the relationship between the rūḥ, nafs, ʿaql and qalb
- To get an overview of the major diseases that plague the heart – their significance, causes, symptoms, and cure
Time & Venue
July 7 – August 8, 2018
Saturdays, 2:30 – 5:30 PM &
Wednesdays, 7:00 – 8:30 PM
Quad Room, Plano Masjid (IACC)
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, the introductory course to the Marifa Program, MRF 101, is included as part of this course for those who have not taken it before. The contents of MRF 101 contextualize the entire curriculum of the Marifa Program, and are essential to orient the new student.
- Required Reading:
Ghazālī, The Forty Principles of the Religion. Turath Publishing.
- Recommended Reading:
Ghazālī, The Marvels of the Heart: Science of the Spirit. Fons Vitae.
Fee: $120 (non-refundable)
Register online before July 1st
For financial aid, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Email us: email@example.com